I rewrote my blog engine in Python instead of PowerShell. It now uses Mustache templates. I went ahead and removed the epub creation. The process takes a lot less time to run now.
I used a few different things this go around
xml.etree.cElementTree - for building a site map
PyStache - for rendering python files
urllib - for pulling down a list of my GitHub repos
Pretty soon I'll post it on Github. I should start posting more frequently after the holidays. Lots of fun projects on the horizon. Makey Makey, Mindstorm Ev3, the ever popular news article collector, and one hundred other ideas bouncing around.