Last night I opened up the preamp and began to make some changes. Before I started I took an old Kodak printer apart with the intent of harvesting a power plug. It looked like right size for a typical guitar pedal so I took it apart.
If you look carefully at the board the bottom shows the power plug next to the metal USB plug. Lots of interesting things on this board. Looks like a realtime clock I might harvest later. As it turns out the power plug was the wrong size, but I plan on revisting the board to pull off a few parts. That crystal might be useful as well.
I looked through my parts bin and found some RCA connectors and thought it would be a really good thing to have a clean signal going into the mixer before it routes around the pedal board. Also having an RCA aux in doesn't hurt either. I fired up the drill and put some appropriately sized holes for the power, RCA, and a switch because I intended on making the Darlington pair optional. I plugged soldered the power to a 9v connector backwards so I could plug it into the battery lead and remove it to plug in the battery if needed. I realized then that the power was the wrong size. I left the hole because I plan on adding power at a later date. I need to start checking the components first. I pulled out the old transistor and replaced it with two. I liked how it sounded and decided to make the switch toggle one of the resistors to make the signal louder. After that I swapped the resistor with a fast switching RGB LED after switching it out I tested it and was surprised to hear what sounded like a synthizer, the LED was too noisy and I replaced it with a standard red LED.