Shaping your development experience
2020-04-09 10:43:00 +0000 - Written by Carl Burks
When you work on a project, whether it be a woodworking, metalworking, sewing, or software, you must have the right tools for the job. The better the tools, and the craftsmen’s skill, the more likely quality can be achieved. To that end I’ve dedicated this post to tools:
“For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?” - Luke 14:28 KJV
When you go to build a website consider how much the packages import will cost with https://bundlephobia.com/
Bundlers, Compilers, and Pipelines grouped together because there is some overlap
- Webpack Bundle Your Assets
- Parcel Blazing fast, zero configuration web application bundler
- Rollup module bundler
- Gulp - Streaming workflow build pipeline
- Brunch - opinionated Gulp alternative
Client Api Tools
- Rive Formerly Flare & 2Dimensions, a tool set for animating with vector graphicsy. The modern version of Flash.
- Flutter Google’s UI toolkit
- Figma for web Design Figma for web Design
- Font Fliper The Hot Or Not of Fonts! You upload an image and swipe until you find the font you want.
- Balsamiq Wireframing tool
- Gimp - Non-Vector Image Editor
- Inkscape - Vector Image Editor
- Logos By Nick - Professional Logo Design Services, also checkout his YouTube Channel
- Iconic The “definitive icon set” designed for the modern web.
- Iconmonstr Web Icons
- FontAwesome vector icons and social logos, paid and free
You might already know about VS Code, but have you met Emmet? No, not Emmet Brickowski, the special, from the Lego Movie. Emmet is a snippet expansion.
- Atom - Since Microsoft bought github this one doesn’t seem to have a point
- Komodo Edit
- Cloudcraft - Creates some isometric diagrams for AWS
- Visio Plugin for Isometric diagrams - The walled garden Microsoft tool for isometric diagrams for Azure
- Sonarqube - build tools for code analysis, code coverage, failing builds
- Jira item tracking for agile teams
- Azure Dev Ops Server Microsoft’s rebranding of TFS (it costs money)
Blogging or Static Sites
- Gatsby Gatsby is a free and open source framework based on React that helps developers build blazing fast websites and apps
- Jekyll Transform your plain text into static websites and blogs.